Arri RCU-1

Kar Wai Ng

With the Arri RCU-1 controller attached to a 435, is one able to switch RCU modes while the camera is running?

What the DP has in mind is to ramp up from 24fps up to 40fps, with exposure compensation, then up to 60 fps, with exposure compensation, and then back down to 4fps, WITHOUT exposure compensation; this is all in the same shot.

So what I'm thinking is put the controller in "fps+angle" mode, set my end-stops at 24fps and 60fps (which would define the shutter angles from 72 deg to 180 deg), RUN, turn the handwheel up to 40fps, then all the way up to 60fps, switch the RCU knob to "ramp" mode (with it already preset to 60fps and 180 deg as the start, 4fps as the end), and then hit RAMP and have it ramp down to 4fps.

Would this work? If we have to break the two stages of the shot into two separate shots then we'll have to do that; however, if we can change RCU modes during the shot which would allow us to achieve both the ramp up w/ compensation and the ramp down w/o compensation within the same shot then that would be ideal.

Thanks

Kar Wai Ng

The manual doesn't seem to say directly, but my guess is that you cannot change any parameters while the camera is in run mode. I'd first ask a rental house if this is doable/advisable (you don't want to blow a fuse). If you're reasonably confident, you can always run a test in the field.

I just got back from a prep at Panavision and I am pleased to report that you can indeed change RCU modes while the camera is running. With the go-ahead of a tech, I tried my idea of running in "fps+angle" mode, ramping up with compensation, switched to "ramp" mode during operation, and ramped back down without compensation. Works beautifully!