working with directors

Sam Kim

I am very curious to know how you DPs work with directors. After reading the script what's your next step? Do you create story boards with them? Do you scout locations? Do you take what the director wants you to do and create just that?

I ask because I'm 90% sure I'm taking on a project. He's asking me to storyboard and figure everything out on my own. I'm excited to work on this, I like the script, but I feel like he's asking me for my interpretation of the script and to shoot off that. I feel like I'm crossing over into directing territory though.

What do you guys think?

Some directors like Fellini are not very involved with camera stuff. They are mostly concerned with casting, overseeing art direction and most importantly direction of the actors.

Of course a director has to have an idea about what kind of film is going to be made but many need help with camera blocking, choice of lenses and filmstocks, lighting, etc.

Communication is the key.

Look at films, photos, comic books, paintings, etc. together and try to get on the same wavelength as much as possible.