Converting an RCA FR-35B 35mm projector to xenon

Zachary Vex

My RCA FR-35B has a 1kw halogen light that just isn't cutting it for projecting on a 6-7' screen. I need a lot more light... has anyone ever converted a 35mm projector to xenon? Is there a consumer projector that has a bright xenon bulb and power supply (perhaps a slide projector or 16mm projector) that I could pull the light and p.s. out of for use in my projector? Anyone have any other ideas?

My RCA FR-35B has a 1kw halogen light that just isn't cutting it for projecting on a 6-7' screen. I need a lot more light... has anyone ever converted a 35mm projector to xenon? Is there a consumer projector that has a bright xenon bulb and power supply (perhaps a slide projector or 16mm projector) that I could pull the light and p.s. out of for use in my projector? Anyone have any other ideas?

Zachary,

I've found that most anything can be built (for a price) but what I want to warn you on here is about Xenon lamps. These are very high pressure bulbs and are capable of exploding at any given time, particularly when they are hot. Read up on it if you don't already know. Ask a local projectionst and he will (hopefully) show you the protection gear he wears when changing a bulb out. Be carefull.

Chuck

• Premium Member

Hey Zach,

I used to repair the heads and lamp housings at the Cinema 6 in Southaven, MS. I'd recommend getting the complete lamp housing off of an old projector. They have to draw air properly (evenly) with a fan system or the lamps will burn out and even pop on you. Just sticking a mount in any old housing is not recommended. Since the heads grind up sooner than the housings, you'll probably find one but at what price I can't say. That's just a humble opinion. Good luck on it.

Zach,

Check out this forum Film-Tech. These are the guys running the 35mm projectors in the theaters around the world. A vast amount of knowlege on 35mm projectors available. Free to join, then ask the forum, I'm sure there is someone there that can answer your question/knows your model of RCA projector.