Studio 60

In the current issue of American Cinematographer Thomas Del Ruth talks about Studio 60. On page 51 the article mentions that for budgetary reasons the show started shooting super16 after 10 episodes of shooting 3peft super35.

?The only objection I have to 16mm from a lighting perspective is that it?s difficult to judge lighting contrast through the camera. I can light by eye, but it?s a slightly different way of working ? a bit outside my comfort zone, but necessary.?

Does anyone know what this statement means? Is this simply a comment on the cameras they are using? Ground glass? Size?

I have only ever personally shot on 16mm but have AC?d on many 35mm films and looked through many cameras of both formats and both have nice bright optical eye pieces.

Thoughts?

I find it hard as heck to judge focus on 16mm when I'm operating....a problem that resulted in some fuzzy performance close-ups on my last job (I couldn't tell the shots were out and so I didn't tell my 1st to adjust and I didn't reshoot the offending portions of the close-ups). I do feel that I can more accurately judge the scene and more clearly see the scene when I'm working with a 35mm camera but that's just my impression of things. I have to admit I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the hardware.

Evan

• 3 months later...

Can't believe they yanked the show off the air... Big bummer. I really liked Studio 60. Also the producer is a friend of mine. Double bummer.

I didn't know that bout 16mm. I don't have much experience with them. I'm glad I know now though, just in case.

Anyone else like the show?