hiding the rain

I have a very last minute question:

I am shooting tonight a night scene of an indie feature which all takes place in one day. We have already shot most of the film and there is no rain in the film - unfortunately today it is raining and doesnt look like its going to stop. We only have the actress in town for a couple days so they are pushing to shoot despite the rain. Does anyone have any experience with trying to hide the rain?? No backlight obviously? but do I even have a chance or will it be too obvious?

The location is a road and the coverage includes a riding along beside a bike shot. Also I thought of building a 20x2o as a tarp but because we are low budget we will require the use of the streetlights that exist at the location.

We are shooting on the hvx200 with 35mm lenses. I know rain doesnt always show up but also dont want to go out and try to shoot and then get a whole bunch of footage they cant use.

anyone have any experience or thoughts about this??

• Premium Member

Basically don't backlight the rain, tent the foreground. But it only works if the rain is very light, otherwise it's a disaster for sound and at some point, if it's pouring, there isn't much you can do except maybe stage everything against a wall that has been tented.

Try moving some of the exterior scenes indoors.