E-Bay Scam

Bob Hayes

Scam warning. I recently bid on a Jimmy Jib on e-bay. I lost the auction but then a received an e-mail saying the other bidder had dropped out and asking if I wanted to purchase the item. It looked pretty official. Lots of e-may security info all over it. There was something wrong with the syntax of the letter so I looked further. The ?seller? wasn?t the original seller but Incamaz@aol.com DO NOT E-MAIL THIS GUY!!!!! I did further research and found this to be fraudulent. E-Bay is trying to correct this type of criminal activity but keep your eyes open. Because he is targeting film folks please beware.

Here is further info on the scam.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?thr...d=1174080358728

I just saw a good one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=140095889709

Kinor 16-CX

Last day of the auction all bids got cancelled, and I got a fake email (not from eBay) for a second chance offer, with a URL redirect to collect my account information.

This one was high level.

1. They've compromised the original sellers eBay account

2. Their forged emails auto-submit User ID into the login boxes of their "spoofed" website.

3. They're also going to compromise the accounts of all bidders on that auction who are not careful.

I've reported this, but I think it's going to take eBay 48 hours to resolve it with "nothing" as the outcome as usual.

:-(.

If you've bid on this auction - CHANGE YOUR eBay PASSWORD.

If you see it removed it was a Kinor 16-2CX with 2 Lenses from a seller in USA.

It's interesting Bob that you would point the "syntax of the letter".

This same thing happened to me two years ago and I almost lost $5000.00. The second chance e-mail from ebay looked very real, but there where a few gramatical errors that I was sure ebay would not make.

Sure enough it was a confirmed scam e-mail.

You would think that these guys, most of whom are in Eastern Europe, would hire an English gramarian to check their e-mails. Then think of the damage they could do.

R,

• Premium Member

Be wary of ANY 2nd Chance Offers. Always.

They've done a good job recently of hiding all identities of anyone bidding on anything (not just film gear) but some slip through the cracks.

If you do receive any e-mails outside of "My Messages", just forward them to: spoof@ebay.com

They'll do the research and (usually) get back to you fairly quickly.

Having just typed that, now I'm all paranoid about something that's supposed to be shipped here tomorrow. Yikes......

Only makes sense since 1/2 of the people on this board got some equipment from eBay, or so it seems, the other 1/2 rent their equipment. It would be good to have a sub-folder in the buy/sell section for sellers and their history.

We can still do business through eBay's mechanisms this assures proper value for stuff sold, though we will have a reference in the forum for the item. Also people can list positive experiences with sellers that are not on the forums like one gentleman described his positive experience with the 'isellarri' eBay user.

I found an HVX-200 on ebay with 17hours left that only cost 12 bucks. that and 3 other items I was watching when I got a bunch of letters saying 'surprise' its a con. I was about to send their info into ebay too. I found not only the exact pictures on other auctions, but one was advertised as 'LCD projector 5000lumens with good remort' I searched for the word 'remort' and I guess several people have problems spelling remote (either that or this scammer was too lazy to change the title. copy and paste genius)