How many frames per second are these shots?

I saw this cool music video the other day, and I was wondering if someone here could tell me roughly how many frames per second they think some of these effects are. There are 3 of them in particular, all slow motion effects. One is water coming out of a faucet. One is slap to a face. And the last one is bucket of water thrown at a person.

Here is a link to the video El-P - Smithereens (NY Times). It's on the New York times website and you might need to register to view it.

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

Kinda tough to put an exact number on it, but judging from the speed the water is falling through the faucet I would say between 500-1000 fps. Although its also very possible that it could around 360fps... definitely not a post effect.

definitely not a post effect.
I'm not saying it was shot at normal and slowed down fully - but maybe a 1/2 factor ? so if it was shot at 250fps you could get 500fps out of it with a Flame or whatever ... I've seen some pretty convincing post speed effects, as long as the factor isn't too extreme

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Right. That is achievable as long as the subject in the frame isn't moving across the screen too fast. I've pulled off 2,000 fps just by playing back 1,000 fps material at 1/2 speed. No need for any special software since there wasn't any motion blur to begin with.