xdcam

avner shahaf

• Premium Member

From what I've seen of the XDCAM it's very reliable and a very good camera. I have not tested it fully though. You should try it out yourself if you really want to see if it is reliable for what you need.

I checked your profile and saw that you are in Israel, you should check out Band Pro Tel Aviv, I work at the Band Pro in California, but if they run their showroom like we run ours you should be able to walk in and play with the camera yourself.

• Premium Member

Sony came in and Demo'd one for us and left it for us to play with for a few days. I'm quite impressed with the camera thus far. Our main video guyhasn't conducted any head to head tests, but from an operator standpoint it is very attractive.

I find it very comperable to an SDX900 for the most part and haven't gone down into the nuts and bolts.

The discs look and feel very rugged (as much as tape). They will be coming out with double-sided discs eventually. I imagine that will happen when they scale the technology up for HD applications.

You should be able to plug the camera right into a computer via firewire and read the discs like an external disc drive. There is also a nice flipout LCD monitor that will give you the ability to touch your way through the menus and manage your clips on the disc. Our demo unit doesn't have that ability as it needs a software upgrade or something.

They also showed us that cute box HD camera they've developed. Has a 1/2" chip Only one lens for it, but if you could get a wide enough lens for it it'd be perfect for car interiors, etc... (I never know how closely the 1/2" mount resembles the Aaton mount!)

Sadly the Sony reps had no information on the PlayStation3. Different divisions, but hey, you never know!

• Premium Member
They also showed us that cute box HD camera they've developed. Has a 1/2" chip Only one lens for it

It's the HDC-X300, I think its an amazing camera for the price. And there is more than one lens for it. Canon and Fujinon both have lenses that will fit the mount. You have the choice of buying the camera with or without the lens. In my opinion this camera will be a great solution for people wanting to shoot HD but not having the money for an F900 or Varicam.