ZOOM LENSES ON MOUNT ADAPTERS

Mike Medavoy

Hi,

Do you run more risks mounting a 35mm ZOOM lens to a 35mm camera by way of a mount adapter (as supposed to a prime for example)?

I am not talking about weight and support, obviously the zoom lens will be properly supported etc etc

I am talking about zoom drift, lens displacement and so on. A prime is smaller and doesn't have moving elements, and generally doesn't take as much strain as a zoom lens, therefore mounting it with a mount adapter is safer I assume. But what about a zoom lens? People do this if they have no choice?

Thanks!

Mike

PS Specifically, the zoom is in Bayonet mount and I will mount it on a BNCR camera by way of a Bayonet-to-BNCR adapter. The adapter is reasonably sturdy and in good condition. The lens is the Angenieux 12-240 converted to 25-500mm for 35mm format.

I would think that a zoom would be better in that I could at least use it to quickly check for any change in backfocus. But in essence, assuming that everything is securely locked in and the lens is supported properly, I don't see any reason why there should be problems.