Leicina Special, 135mm Hektor lens

Lisa Davidson

Hi, Everybody,

My Leicina Special came today, and I put the Hektor lens on it. I can't believe it. I never liked this lens much; when I used it on the M3 everything was kind of foggy and washed out. When I put it on the Leicina, it was amazing. I've never seen anything like it. It has incredible contrast all of a sudden. It's like "everything a lens should be" and more so. I don't know why, but I don't even care. It's like a birthday present.

The only thing I don't understand about this camera: why do they say it has rangefinder focusing? It looks like regular old split image to me. I mean, yes, it has three ways, but what they call rangefinder looks like split image, you know, the no parking sign. Am I missing something?

Lisa Davidson

I believe that split image is a type of "rangefinder focusing". The word rangefinder is somewhat misleading in that it is normally used to describe non-reflex cameras and the Leicina is most certainly reflex as well as being a great camera (except for the handgrip which can easily be ignored).