Point of view focal length

Andre Labous

Have been asked to shoot POV shots of people at dining room table. I use the innovision probe lens for tabletop often. Director asked for primes so I have a set of Zeiss Digi Primes standing by as well. I have done a test w/ the probe and it enables me to have it directly next to the actors head to give a better viewing angle due to the small diameter of the probe. My question is what focal length at a 2/3" target will give me the best results. Also am considering hand held. Not shaky hand held but hand held nonetheless. The camera is an F-900/3. Please don't suggest mounting a camera to their heads. :)

Firstly it would depend somewhat on the aspect ratio you are shooting.

I'd just scope it out through the finder beforehand and see what feels best...

Tricky question is how to differentiate between a POV head move and the resulting parallax movement and/or just the eyes moving - much faster, more jiggly and no parallax ie. center of rotation around the film plane -

You'd need a camera head offset upon another head ...

Shooting 16x9 for broadcast. HD for HD Channels, letterbox for Standard. I've been considering parallax (good word) and ways for compensating. Have been drawing ways to achieve that. Considered using high hat on mini dolly track raised to eye level. Suggestion with offset.........will angle of view change w/ an offset. Also pan at the head or at the offset?

pan at the head or at the offset?

What I'm suggesting is that you'll need to do both ... head = head & offset = eyes - have your film plane at the offset's center of rotation

Look at your monitor - now move your head left or right - notice how your neck moved and your eyes moved to keep the monitor in view ...

We do this all the time, it s part of body language - weather we move our head in the direction of a speaker but not our eyes, or just our eyes but not the head, or both head and eyes or neither all mean different things... One usually follows the other, the difference in timing can lead to insights into a persons motivations ...

I'm not sure what the conversation is or if there is any subversive elements, characters 'in the know' etc... But as you are effectively being the actor in this case I think you have a neat opportunity to inject some character into the movement ...

Another classic is when people are answering a yes or no question - they may answer 'no' but their head is busy nodding - watch the news, it happens all the time...

******************update...........

hmmm, actually is it the film plane or the point at which the rays invert ? 'invert' in the sense of the point the lines cross when drawing ray diagrams, usually somewhere in between the back element and film plane ...

I forget which exactly, and still have early morning brain fuzz so cant model it in my head - coffee!

anyway, a quick look through a finder would quickly solve that problem

Edited by Nick Mulder