Andrew Lesnie

Mike Panczenko

Hey,

I'm just reposting this topic in hopes of getting more replies this time- if not, well, what can ya do? My original post is just copied and pasted below, with minor changes:

Any opinions on his work? I think that the Fellowship of the Ring is one of the most beautifully shot movies ever. His work on Babe, I think is great, too. On The Two Towers I understand what he was trying to do, but I am not able to get into movies that are so desaturated- on repeated viewings, though, I have been able to get into it more. On Return of the King, I also enjoyed his work, though the digital grading, even though there is no way to protray something so unnatural as the events in Lord of the Rings as natural, sometimes look too altered to me. But, I don't know if that could have been handled in any way other than it was. Also, the battle scenes in the 2nd film were sometimes so shaky that I could not make out what was going on. What are your opinions on his work? Has anybody seen some of his lesser known films, and what are your feelings on those?

You need to look at more than the LOTR trilogy to get a sense of Andrew's versatility.

Try Babe (The Gallant Pig) around 1995, which was the first feature to give animals human speech by way of digitally moving their lips. Forget the follow-up (Pig in the City).

Look at Temptation of a Monk (1993) for a Chinese saga.

Most recently, Love's Brother (this year), a beautiful evocation of Italian migrants to small-town Australia in the 50s.

That's a range of styles and shooting situations.