more stills

tom quinn

• 2 weeks later...

the frame with the polar bear is a great image.

based off those stills, your exposures seem to be perfect for shooting for a color grade... which is a compliment. but i feel like now it really really needs a color grade-- even if it's just a matter of pulling the shoulder up a little in luminance... it would look really great. but regardless, the stuff looks really good.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm pretty excited about the film and am leaving the 24th to screen it at a student film festival in Germany, which should be a blast.

Jaan, thanks for the feedback! I'm not familiar with the grading process. Should I be bringing up my blacks a bit? I should also mention that since i grabbed these on a Mac for some folks they will come out a tad dark on PC's.

Take care, everyone.

Tom

oops, i had mentioned the pc gamma issue already. sorry!

• Premium Member
Hi All,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm pretty excited about the film and am leaving the 24th to screen it at a student film festival in Germany, which should be a blast.

Jaan, thanks for the feedback! I'm not familiar with the grading process. Should I be bringing up my blacks a bit? I should also mention that since i grabbed these on a Mac for some folks they will come out a tad dark on PC's.

Take care, everyone.

Tom

oops, i had mentioned the pc gamma issue already. sorry!

The black look lovely to me. I like them deep. It's the shoulder (whites) that could stand to be brought up some. It would make a much richer image without really changing the impression of relative lightness or darkness.

• Premium Member

I'm viewing this on a mac linked to a Dell Ultrasharp monitor, black level looked like they hovered around 7.5 IRE to me, reminded me of "Zodiac", so I think, though they weren't zero black, they looked great. Make sense? Plus I love the mixed color temps.

hey guys -

thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I agree about the whites. I tend to underexpose just a bit on the dvx because I'm always fighting them, and wish I could bring them up cleanly in post to punch up the contrast, but get too much noise.

thanks!

tom

www.stationhousefilms.net