Telecine and Scan at home.

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

Well, Gang. Bruce at Aranda has started working on my telecine-scan rig. We're running into the usual design hurdles. But, Bruce is showing his usual brilliance at problem solving. I swear, I'm gonna' marry that man.

We're using a stripped NC in 2-perf for the projection works. An XL2 will do workprints in 24p and I've got a 5K wide DSLR and Macro lens for the scans in RAW format. I like RAW since it gives me seperate RGB files on each image. I'm looking forward to old-school technicolor style color control.

Wish us luck,

Paul

It would be nice if the camera could do interval timing in sync with the projector and output over USB so you don't have to keep swapping cards.

Turning a series of images into a video is quite simple. I'm sure final cut has a solution, but I just use Blender for it since it lets me use arbitrary sizes/aspects and a wider variety of codecs.

Edited by james smyth

• Premium Member

I'm sure they'll operate the camera tethered.

Are you using constant illumination and the DSLR shutter, or momentary illumination?

What are you doing about software integration and projector control?

Phil

• Premium Member

Hey Phil,

Yup, tethered by firewire. Kodak SW stores images with numerical sequence. Bruce's peeps will supply the SW utilities to talk to both the Kodak DSLR and NC's Aranda motor works. In both XL and DSLR cases the film is shot in the gate with LEDs behind frosted glass mounted behind cut-out pressure plate. It is not going to be totally automated but still useful enough to skip lab-scan costs. It was the closest to off-the-shelf, minimum-modification-cost and hopefully, reasonable-quality-for-nothing scheme that I could come up with.