Examples of Shooting Video in a Hotel Room

Alejandro Wilkins

Hello,

I will be shooting a DV short that is set entirely in a hotel room. I am trying to find examples of movies shot on DV that spend a significant amount of time in a hotel room.

So far I know of "Tape" and I will be watching that right after I finish this post.

Thanks for your help

• Premium Member

I do not know of any shot on mini-dv but I will keep looking. Two

films shot on 35mm film may give you ideas that will be helpful. I

suppose the look,and lighting for the look you want will be at top of

planning list.

1. IDENTITY(Sony Pictures)

Director- James Mangold

DP- Phedon Papamichael

2. COOLER(Lions Gate)

Director- Wayne Kramer

DP- James Whitaker

As I said above films were shot on 35mm but may be helpful to you as

creative ideas,lighting,look desired.mood of film. I will keep looking for

mini-dv film and will post if I find one. Don't forget "Collateral" maybe

will give you ideas(some of the rooms the scenes took place in). Best

regards and best of luck with your production.

• Premium Member

I don't really agree with the theory that if you are shooting in DV, you need to look at other DV-shot movies for ideas on how to shoot the movie. You should look at good-looking movies PERIOD and be inspired by those.

For example, my favorite "hotel room" movie for cinematography is probably "Barton Fink" (and that was inspired somewhat by another favorite, "Eraserhead") and a lot of the lighting ideas could be transposed to a DV shoot. I asked Roger Deakins once how he managed to make so many shots look lit by that single lamp next to the bed and he said he put a bounce card on the wall above the lamp and bounced a 1K into it. I've been using Lightboard lately and bouncing a Source-4 into it when I'm in a similar situation (I had a hotel room scene in "Shadowboxer.")

But the real key is the art direction and design of the room architecturally. I picked the motel room in "Shadowboxer" mainly because it was 4' deeper than all the other rooms, enabling me to get the camera behind the second bed, plus in that corner was a door leading to another room, giving me access to the room from another direction than the main door. Plus the window was in the right place and the view outside the windows was mildly interesting (another row of motel rooms across a parking lot.)

In a hotel room, you don't have many elements to work with (a few lamps, a window, a bed, etc.) so EVERYTHING becomes more critical, especially the wall coloring and the placement of the window.

Anyway, you should be studying great hotel room movies regardless of the shooting format. "Psycho" would be another good example.

• Premium Member

Take a look at Mike Figgis' "Hotel" and Ethan Hawke's "Chelsea Walls". Both films were shot on mini-dv feature scenes set in hotel rooms.

Also some cool motel lighting in the scenes featuring Edie Falco (Sopranos) in the John Sayles film, "Sunshine State" photographed by DP Patrick Cady.

• Premium Member

For shoots taking place in confined spaces I always reference "Twelve Angry Men".

It's really not so much about the lighting as it is about creating "mini" locations within a location.

It's only one room, but you can have scenes by the window, at the head of the table, in sections of the table and so on...

Since I rented the DVD of "Millennium Mambo" last night my fav Director Hou Hsiao-hsien is on the brain but he & DP Li Ping-bin (aka Mark Lee) are masters when it comes to small rooms/ confined spaces -- the 'aquarium' approach.......

Since the DVD just came out I'd recomend it for sure.

-Sam