recommended glass for po-folks

andrewbuchanan

Hello all.

Amateur cinematographer here. I've just started playing with super-16 and 35mm a lot (and I am hooked like it was crack). I'm not near any decent rental places, and don't do enough high-end work to buy my own good (Zeiss or Cooke) lenses... yet. I have aquired several nikkors (and a few nikon mount russian lenses such as the Peleng 8mm and Zenit 16mm) to get started. I have been happy with the look of the nikon telephtotos (135mm, 200mm), but rather disappointed with the look of the normal to wide lenses (especially the russian glass) with these still lenses. :angry:

Could anyone offer advice about some cheapish, but great preforming lenses in the normal to wide range? I've seen Speed Panchros that were in good shape for a couple hunderd bucks, but don't have any experience with them. I occasionally see Arri-S mount Zeiss MK1 at decent rates too. I don't shoot too much in low light, so speed isn't a huge factor... yet. :huh:

If any of you experienced DP types could offer advice on what you would buy if you had a day job, or your experience with some of the older lenses, it would be greatly appreciated. :D

I'm low budget too, but one thing I'm learning the hard way, is that you get what you pay for, as far as cheap glass goes.

It's really tough to get good glass cheap, impossibly maybe.

I think converted still lenses might be the only way, but even that's not super cheap, and has it's drawbacks (see lots of posts in the archives).

If I were shooting 35 (which I'm not), I'd probably go this direction, as far as being able to own my own glass.

Matt Pacini

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I found a couple of Super Baltars that I purchased and they should be in soon for a test. In the meantime, I will look for series II Speed Panchro Cookes. They seem to be the most highly recommended as far as the older stuff goes. In any case, I appreciate the advice.