Lens Data System

Ken Minehan

Hello guys, i was just doing some random reading online with regards cooke s4 lenses. Then i came across this thing called Lens data System. I had never heard of this before. So i did some reading on this.

It says that it shows you all the essential information like the focus, iris, zoom, DOF, hyperfocal distance, FPS, shutter, battery voltage, footage, film reserve and take length etc.

From what i understand, does it make focus pulling easier?

In Critical focus situations, can you check to make sure that the actor was within the depth of field?

It would be great to hear from other guys who have used this system before.

regards

Ken MInehan

Honestly, on a full-scale film production, people should be keeping track of each of those anyway so that they never interfere with a shot. People and machinery are subject to errors and mistakes, but usually this can be caught by the responsible or with the camera tap during the shot. This would be very helpful for live coverage or still photography, but I don't really see it's value on a dramatic film. It's kind or like how autofocus is almost unheard of on a movie set. What's the point when there's people that can do it better than the machinery they're so skilled, and yeah?! THat sort of system might have use in very unusual situations where the camera is being controlled remotely, or in a location where crew compliment is limited, like underwater, or for aerial shots.

Regards,

~KB