Doug Hart's Film & HD Camera Assistant Workshop in Maine

Has anyone ever taken Doug Hart's Assistant Camera summer workshop in Rockport Maine? If anyone has taken this workshop, could you please comment on your experience? How well do you think the workshop prepared you for future work as a 1st and 2nd AC? How proficient were you with Panavison and Arriflex cameras after taking the course? From what I read it sounds amazing, but I don't quite know what to expect. Feedback from anyone who has taken the workshop would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

Edited by Ryan Mhor

I haven't taken his class, but I have pushed dolly on a feature that he assisted on, and even had the honor of having him assist me on a student film, and have had some former students of his from that class as my AC's on other projects, and I'm hoping to hire them (or Doug) again. What can I say? He's a top-notch AC (he was Gordon freakin' Willis's AC for 10 years!), and he's very dedicated to teaching. I don't think they hand out local 600 cards at the end of the class, but it's probably a very good start.

I didn't attend Hart's workshop, but I was there last summer for other workshops and I know some of those who took the AC and camera operator workshops. Everyone said it was a great workshop and learned a lot.

I can only comment on the workshop experience and i can safely say i had a great time: it was truly amazing and worth every penny. I'm actually thinking about going back sometime in the future, I loved it.

As for the actual preparation as an AC, i'd say that experience plays a big part, so i wouldn't expect being an AC after two week workshops, no matter how good they are (and Hart's are truly excellent). The workshops are an amazing way to get started (or to improve quite a bit on what you already know).

• Premium Member

I took his workshop last June. It was kind of a birthday present to myself. I loved it. It answered a lot of questions and the constant hands-on time with a bunch of cameras was very cool. I have done several jobs since with cameras I first learned during that week. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

PS- Spending my 21st birthday drinking on the Panavision reps' dime made for a hell of a 21st birthday. We all (basically everyone in all the workshops) went to the same bar every evening all week. Tons of fun besides the learnin'

• Premium Member
Gilbert's!!!! :D

How I wish I could go back to Rockport soon....

Yup, Gilberts! I am more than a little proud to say that Panavision paid for my 21st birthday drinking ;)