morning light with 35 mm adapter

Michael Sandoval

Hi, guys!

I'm going to pose you a question that I hope all our collective brains can answer! I'm about to place an order with a rental house, and am mulling over the possible lighting configurations. Any words of widom would be much appreciated.

-SITUATION: I am lighting a bedroom for the morning (7 AMish, spring); windows on 2 sides. I would love to use a 2.5 K HMI boucing light through each window. I am shooting with the HVX with a P+S 35 mm adapter. With the adapter, my f-stop would be approx. an ASA of 80, if I'm doing my math right. So for me, the 2.5 K HMI's bounced make sense.

However, 4 2.5 K HMI's aint cheap, since the producer has already spent a gazillion dollars on other toys. I'd also have to rent a genny.

The other option is to go with 4 1.2 K HMI's, shooting directly into the windows through a 4 x4 piece of diffusion (grid, though maybe opal). Would this work? The HVX is good in low light level situations, but I'm losing 2 stops with the 35 mm adapter. Morning light is soft, and I don't want to go too direct. There will not me any practical lights inside the bedroom helping me out.

Do you think I could make this work with the less powerful HMI's? IE get enough light to see detail in the shadows; to replicate a morning effect; to replicate the softness of morning light?

Thanks!!! smile.gif Appreciate your thoughts!

I think you would have enough light, I havent used the 35 adaptor myself, but I always shoot with ND filters on the camera, And I got a rating of 80 asa, and I only used a 1k and 2-250, the scene I was doing was set at night, but you still need light. I also had diffusion on the lights,baking sheet paper which cut out the light by a full stop.

just shoot wide open and watch your focus.