Filter for forest scene

tommy holman

hey,

i am currently about to shoot a short film on super 16, and one of the scenes is set in a dense forest with alot of de-saturated greens and browns. As the film has different colour palletes for each scene, the forest scene is supposed to be the 'green scene'. Is there anyway i can increase the saturation of green in the scene without losing detail. I have heard they do a green enhancing filter, but arrimedia in the uk do not stock it! Any other suggestions??

Thanks,

Tommy Holman

• Premium Member

Well, if you are going to telecine this footage, the simple answer is to play with the green saturation in post.

On the set, wetting down greens, painting greens greener when possible, or bringing in fresh green plants to dress the location would help.

Other methods are not so effective -- you could somehow flash the negative with green light using a VariCon device (needs a 6x6 mattebox), this would fog the shadows & blacks green. You could put a light green filter on the camera and light faces with HMI's with a magenta gel to compensate.

• Premium Member
Other methods are not so effective -- you could somehow flash the negative with green light using a VariCon device (needs a 6x6 mattebox).

Will a VariCon fit in my Ultracam 5X6 mattebox? Obviously I'd have to blackwrap and gaff tape the top of the filter and mattebox to keep stray light out.

• Premium Member

Fuji daylight stock seems to have a nice sensitivity to "forest green". If the variation in light is too extreme, you may want to consider a low con or ultra con filter, starting perhaps in the #1 strength.

• Premium Member

Green foliage is always a tricky subject.... always has been. Keep the leaves backlit if possible to punch the colour through otherwise I've used a lot of smoke lit with big units with a light green gel, works great for interiors.