Matte Box for EF lens

Matt Short

We just talked about this last week. For an external focus lens (I assume that's what you mean by EF), you cannot use a clamp-on mattebox but instead will have to mount it to frontrods. You can get a frontrod assembly from a number of manufacturers, including Chrosziel (the best), Vocas (aka Shade F/X), and Cavision (the cheapest--plasticy stuff from China). The frontrod assembly mounts to your camera base (you can still use your quick release plate) and the rods extend forward under the lens. The mattebox then mounts to this. The smallest size I would ever recommend is 4"x4", but for 16:9 you're really better of with 4"x4.560" to cover the wide end of the lens properly.

I use a Tiffen Filter Flex matte box. Mounts using a fork type assembley that is attached to the screws that hold the servo motor in place. No need for mounting rods to the camera. Holds two 4x4 filters and comes with a french flag. I'm not sure if they still make it, but worth a look.

I was just looking at the Century Precision Optics website and discovered how nice a deal they're offering on their Shade F/X mattebox system. For a complete mattebox system (holds 2 4x4 filters and includes the frontrod assembly for the appropriate camera) the list price is under $1200. That's a lot of well-made gear for a pretty nice price, and I'll bet that a place like B&H Photo discounts from there. A quality system that can take grow with accessroies in the future.