WEST OF THE TRACKS

This 9 hour 2003 documentary, divided into three sections, just finished a short run at the Film Anthology in NYC. I don't know how many of you might have seen this film, but if you get a chance it is a fantastic work of art. It chronicles the erosion of a community once supported by 20th century chinese industrialism.

It is shot on mini-dv, mostly handheld and very shaky at times (especially when walking, zoomed in, through the bitter cold). There is no non-diagetic music and no narration. i believe i counted three title cards total.

jk :ph34r:

• Premium Member

Haven't seen this documentary show up in L.A., at least not in theatrical release or anything. I've actually never heard of it.

"Grindhouse" had a national release, though, so I wouldn't get too upset that it is being talked about more.

Good point. Plus I should learn how to spell "grindhouse". God I just did it again! I must have some weird dislexia that only applies to d's and g's.

David I thought you were living out here in NYC. When did you move out to sunny southern California?

No kidding.

L.A., beyond having beautiful weather and excellent ethnic food, is good for seeing film, as is NY. I'm also a big fan of the Boston cinema scene. I think it has something to do with having 300+ universities in a 20 mile radius. I wonder what other US cities have good venues for film?