Bleach bypass

Hey there,

I'm considering bleach bypass for a short I'll be shooting next month on S16 and have some questions. It's a look I've been wanting to try for a while and have finally found a script that calls for it. However I know that it's quite a complicated procedure as well as an expensive one. At this stage I'm looking for input from ppl that have tried it and that would like to share their experience.

I'd like to know:

-what the different kinds of bleach bypass are and how they differ

-what requirements it has; such as exposure, stock, asa...

-how expensive it actually is

-what tests need to be done prior to the shoot

-and whether the look can be achieved in telecine

I would really appreciate any help I get as well as some stills of examples!

Cheers,

Zalfa.

• Premium Member

I just posted a bunch of tests I did with bleach bypass:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=170410

Those were shot in 35, and I am not sure if anyone will BB 16 (though I think someone must).

I assume you want to BB your negative. A lot of the labs have different names for it, but for the most part they are the same.

There has been a ton of postings on this topic, do a search.

There are no requirements, just recommendations like underexpose a little, etc. It is something you really have to test.

The cost is typically for a setup fee (around $500 per a run) and I think the per a foot charge is a little more, but I don't really get to see all the numbers, so I am not positive.

Test, test, test!

Zalfa, you also need to use your FULL name on this forum.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
i gaffed a music video for our final cinematography project where we decided that a bleach bypass would be perfect for the look they wanted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqROsdtaVA

check it out.

shot on 16.

Looks great, Sam. I'm guessing it was shot on the Arri S/B with rented lenses. What did you guys use to smoke the set?

Also, how much did you (or Joey) end up paying for the bleach-bypass process (to the neg I assume), and did you get a workprint as well as a telecine?