Dimly Lit Weddings...

Every wedding I've filmed (which is only a handful so far) has ended with a nice reception with the lights "turned down low". This is fine for the guests and the photographer, who can use an on-camera flash. Unfortunately, my camera (Sony's HVR-Z1) doesn't do well in these situations. I can't remember the lux specification for the Z1, but I'm sure some other cameras have this problem as well. I've had to make some shots with the gain turned up all the way to 18dB, which results in a really grainy picture. Even working with the video in post doesn't help much.

I know on-camera hotshoe lights are available, but in my opinion, that would be distracting to the bride and groom, and they're already nervous enough.

So, supposing the lights are down low, the management can't turn them higher, and gain isn't an option, what can I do to achieve a brighter shot?

Thanks!

Michael :huh:

Edited by Michael J. Murphy

Unless you have a person or two that can help set up lights for you, you may be limited to using a battery powered lamp on top of you camera, like the small LED lights diffused of course, or have someone hand hold something a little larger as you are shooting.

However, I did here about a wedding videographer who was a one man show. He set up larger lights and bounces around the room and turned them on and off as he needed from a wireless remote that he wore on his belt.

Best

Tim

Unless you have a person or two that can help set up lights for you, you may be limited to using a battery powered lamp on top of you camera, like the small LED lights diffused of course, or have someone hand hold something a little larger as you are shooting.

However, I did here about a wedding videographer who was a one man show. He set up larger lights and bounces around the room and turned them on and off as he needed from a wireless remote that he wore on his belt.

Best

Tim

Tim, you suggested a type of on-camera light called a diffused LED light. I can't seem to find one online. Could you describe it for me? And would it be distracting to the bride and groom?

And, yes, I'm a one man team: videographer, editor, sound technician, and DVD authorer, so I need as much automation as possible. Unfortunately, on my current budget, I can't afford a light kit, let alone a remote one...

Thanks again!

Tim, you suggested a type of on-camera light called a diffused LED light. I can't seem to find one online. Could you describe it for me? And would it be distracting to the bride and groom?

And, yes, I'm a one man team: videographer, editor, sound technician, and DVD authorer, so I need as much automation as possible. Unfortunately, on my current budget, I can't afford a light kit, let alone a remote one...

Thanks again!

Hey Michael,

they have what they call DV kit with one litepanel

http://www.s131567196.onlinehome.us/products/dvcamerakit.asp

but maybe you should look into the kit with two and have an extra battery and lamp. They will fit nicely on a typical baby stud you can probably mount on the camera. It has a really nice dimmer built in that you can adjust as you shoot. Check b and h photo for prices. They typically have good ones.

A lite panel will help you images quite a bit, even if it is dimmed down and even if it is front lit. It'll help clean things up. You won't have to shoot as wide open with the gain up.

best

Tim

PS the other light kit isn't a remote light itself. The light is a normal 120 volt film light that is run through a remote controlled switch. Something that you can get in radio shack for 20 bucks or so.

Edited by timHealy