Sony Unveils World's First HDV 1080i Consumer Camc

Johnnie

• Premium Member
No interchangable lenses, same fiddly controls and (most likely) crappy viewfinder, small CCDs and resultantly infinite depth of field. Yawn...

Well, it is a consumer camera. If you want interchangeable lenses, larger CCDs, and shallower depth of field, then your gonna have to shell out more cash. Take a look at the new HDC-X300.

Very much true. I can't remember who said it here but, what can do you expect in an entire camera that costs less than a decent lens...?

I'm not expecting the world for nothing. I just find it interesting what people get excited about. It seems like video camera manufacturers, on the whole, seem to care little about ergonomics and what filmmakers actually want. I don't expect uncompressed, Super35-sized CCDs and interchangable Zeiss lenses on a camera anywear near this price range--or eight times this price range--but some ergonomic improvement might be nice.

How about usable zoom controls, actual manual focus with some level of drag to it, dump the near-useless handstrap and replace it with something upfront (think A-Minima handstrap...), would lens markings be too much to ask? This isn't a criticism of Sony specifically, but of all of the "sausage-cams". Since these types of cameras often get more often employed in professional or semi-professional documentary situations than for family home videos, it shocks me that manufacturers seem to design the controls more for mom, dad and the baby than professional users.

• Premium Member
How about usable zoom controls, actual manual focus with some level of drag to it, dump the near-useless handstrap and replace it with something upfront (think A-Minima handstrap...), would lens markings be too much to ask? This isn't a criticism of Sony specifically, but of all of the "sausage-cams". Since these types of cameras often get more often employed in professional or semi-professional documentary situations than for family home videos, it shocks me that manufacturers seem to design the controls more for mom, dad and the baby than professional users.

I think what sony is trying to do is simplify the camera as much as they can, mainly because the simpler the camera is the less there is to screw up. Alot of the features that you would like to see in these cameras are available as accessories.

Sony will only change the design of their cameras if they have a large enough market for it. This is something that a lot of people do not realize. A lot of cinematographers complain that Sony does not listen to them. Sony does listen, but there isn't a large enough market yet. If there was then Sony would have released an HD camera that acts and looks more like a film camera.

You are best off getting in touch with the smaller companies who modify the cameras or make camera accessories and tell them what you would like. Give them the feedback because it's much cheaper to make new accessories for a camera, rather than making a new camera, or changing the design of a camera that is mass produced. A lot of the smaller companies out there would love to hear more feedback from customers, it makes their work a lot easier.

A good example is the handstrap for the camera, Sony might not make the strap you like but another company such as, Chrosziel might make it, and if they don't it's easier to email them and see if they are interested in making it. Or you can call Aaton and order the A-Minima handstrap and attach it to any camera you would like.

I guess the point of this is that you don't have to rely on one company to make the perfect camera for you. Go out there and try and perfect it for yourself, customize your camera like you would your computer, or your car. Just becareful not to break it. :)

• 1 month later...

HDV .com Domains For Sale !

:) :)

hdtvcinemas.com

hdtventertainment.com

hdv1.com

hdvcam.com

hdvcamcorder.com

hdvcamcorders.com

hdvcameras.com

hdvcams.com

hdvdigital.com