Shooting in a hurricane

Marty Hamrick

Besides the basics of protecting the camera from the elements and using a protection filter on the lens,what is the best way to prevent moisture buildup between the lens and the protection filter?You have to accept that there will be water on the lens in the shots (kind of the effect anyway,but would products like Rainex on the clear protection filter help here?),but what can you do about the moisture that builds up between the lens element and the filter?

Marty

The best way to keep your camera dry is to put it in a water proof splash bag with a good seal between filter and bag. You really need a good seal that prevents water from getting from the front of the filter to behind it. As far as keeping the filter dry http://www.hydroflex.com/ makes an air spraying device that will blow the water of the lens. It?s pretty much a scuba tank with an air nozzle on the end. I shot in the worst part of Hurricane Fran. 145 mile per hour winds. I found if I stayed out of direct rain I could keep the lens dry. Since that experience I noticed the news crews go out of their way to keep water ON the lens. It makes it look much more dangerous.

I found if I stayed out of direct rain I could keep the lens dry. Since that experience I noticed the news crews go out of their way to keep water ON the lens. It makes it look much more dangerous.

LOL!Yes,they want to see the reporter standing out in the wind dodging the element while he's telling you how you shouldn't be out in it.I was at St.Augustine Beach shooting the live reporter cam at the pier while he was standing on the beach telling the audience why you shouldn't be there.Industry has indeed gone downhill.It's a consultant thing,you know.Maybe in my next life I'll be a consultant so I can tell anchors and reporters to change their hairstyles and ties and collect six figures for it.But then I can't be qualified to be a consultant since I haven't been fired numerous times.

Thanks,though I seriously doubt stations will spend money on a good protection system.I think it's easier for them to write off a loss on half a dozen cameras,a few ENG trucks and numerous other pieces of gear.

Marty

• Premium Member

I happened to see a report last night on NBC4 LA, where reporter Beverly White (formerly from there in Tampa) said they ended up shooting most of their B-roll with a consumer camcorder because they couldn't keep the lens from fogging on their broadcast camera. (I believe NBC uses Panasonic DVCPRO50).

This is one of those times I DON'T miss Florida, although it's been 100 deg. with 20% humidity here in LA...