Developing and Transfer to DV

Edward Enciu

I'm looking to develop and transfer some 16mm footage I shot for a commercial broadcast. As of now I'm only doing exposure tests and would like to see results. I have been using the Kodak Vision2 500T 7218 stock shooting with a Russian K3. This is my first venture into filmimg 16mm and can't afford the big boy studio processing in Hollywood. Any suggestions on where to get my 100ft rolls developed and transfered to MiniDV all in place? If not in one place any recomendations on both would be good. If it helps right now I am working out of the Mid-Atlantic states (Philly, PA to Richmond, VA). Thanks!

Eddie E.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Sean McVeigh

Not that this will be of help to you, but in case anyone else is in the toronto/ottawa/montreal type area...

I've had music video work sent to Technicolor (previously Toybox/Alphacine/Medallion/Command Post/...) in Toronto and had 35mm processed and transferred for $0.45/foot. ($CDN). This is their rate for uncorrected, unsupervised transfer, assuming the customer is going to do it all in post.

I'd assume that they offer similar rates in other cities.

Don't be afraid to demand better pricing than the posted rates... I recently had a sales manager at a lab in Montreal offer me $0.14/foot processing (normal price $0.28/foot).

And by all means, do check out Bono Labs as another poster suggested... take a look at their tapeless High-Def transfer options.. it's practically 2K for about the same price as Standard-Def (or at least it worked out that way in my budget). Although I have found you have to keep following up with email as the owner tends to get swamped and lose conversations.. maybe phoning is better :P

Cheers,

Sean