The Canadian Idea Of Success

But Richie, I thought you were a big proponate of Art for Art's sake, so why sully that ideal by bringing up Box Office returns, the nuber of theater screens it plays on and how only the few get grants while all the other poor wreches must scrimp and scrounge to put together the paltry funds to make a no-budget feature? After all, isn't the true reward in the work it'sself or could it be that filmmaking is horrendiously expensive and HAS to make a profit to be a viable artform? Could I have been right all along? MAAAYBEEE! :D

Yeah right, I'm for art for art's sake. I'm a capitalist, any one want to buy my mother? I'll sell at the right price :D

The only movie I approve of being made for art's sake is my own. And I would classify it more as a vanity piece.

No tax dollars involved so no big deal once the money vanishes.

R,

Yeah right, I'm for art for art's sake. I'm a capitalist, any one want to buy my mother? I'll sell at the right price :D

The only movie I approve of being made for art's sake is my own. And I would classify it more as a vanity piece.

No tax dollars involved so no big deal once the money vanishes.

R,

Is your mom attractive? If so, how much and please include pictures? If not, no problem (just forget about the pictures) I could still use a maid, cook and laundress. Now if she's not that domestically oriented, I'm sure there are still things she could be used for, like handling errands, toting my film equipment in and out of the grip truck on her back, changing the oil in my car or racing against other middle-aged women on side streets for pinks but of course that'll all effect the price. Oh and just for incentive, if the price is right, I'll pick up ALL the import taxes (PARTICULARLY IF she's attractive) so they don't get used on another bad movie.....OR GOOD movie that no one will see because of limited disribution. It will be spent right here in the good ol' US of A, NOT on art grants, NOT on education, NOT on space exploration, NOT on socially responible government aid programs to help the poor and destitute, but ON THE MILITARY to keep us safe from people who still live in bombed out mud huts halfway around the world as God and the Republican Party intended it to be! (DISCLAIMER-This politically incorrct message is intented for those who can take a joke ONLY. Anyone with a severe heart condition, diabeties, women who are pregnant or may become pregnant, anyone with a stick up the a** or childern under 16 should avoid contact with this message. If after reading this message, you should develop, headache, shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pain or vomiting, immediately consult a psychiatrist. Side effects may include nausia, diarrhea and and an accute sense of the sardonic. please read as dirrected.) B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

(DISCLAIMER-This politically incorrct message is intented for those who can take a joke ONLY. Anyone with a severe heart condition, diabeties, women who are pregnant or may become pregnant, anyone with a stick up the a** or childern under 16 should avoid contact with this message. If after reading this message, you should develop, headache, shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pain or vomiting, immediately consult a psychiatrist. Side effects may include nausia, diarrhea and and an accute sense of the sardonic. please read as dirrected.) B)

Let's just post this after 90% of the comments made on this forum. It will save us a lot of headache. Brilliant idea.

R,

PS: On a side note, the auto industy out did the film industry for a massive loss of money. They must be cheering in Hollywood, now they don't look so bad. A 30 billion dollar loss? Not even the studios can beat that.

"DaimlerChrysler moved to undo the most expensive and one of the least successful mergers in auto industry history today -- agreeing to sell its money-losing Chrysler unit for a fraction of what it paid nine years ago. DaimlerChrysler will sell an 80 percent stake in its U.S. brand for $7.4 billion to Cerberus Capital Management, a private equity investment firm. German automaker Daimler-Benz paid $37 billion for Chrysler in 1998."

Let's just post this after 90% of the comments made on this forum. It will save us a lot of headache. Brilliant idea.

R,

Couldn't agree more.

PS: On a side note, the auto industy out did the film industry for a massive loss of money. They must be cheering in Hollywood, now they don't look so bad. A 30 billion dollar loss? Not even the studios can beat that.

"DaimlerChrysler moved to undo the most expensive and one of the least successful mergers in auto industry history today -- agreeing to sell its money-losing Chrysler unit for a fraction of what it paid nine years ago. DaimlerChrysler will sell an 80 percent stake in its U.S. brand for $7.4 billion to Cerberus Capital Management, a private equity investment firm. German automaker Daimler-Benz paid $37 billion for Chrysler in 1998."

And here I thought the Germans were really good at taking things overs, go figure. Oh well, Ol' George better hurry up though, he's only got 2 years left to f*ck up the rest of our economy.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

wow you're a real fu**in tool.

ha ha! joke!

:rolleyes:

WOW...I'm SHOCKED....I mean Is THAT the absolute BEST you can come up with, Kollias? I would've expected something clever or simi witty but that's just kinda pathetic, I guess it's more of a handicap having an IQ in the single digits than I would have suspected. Why don't you try again and this time see if you can get all 6 brain cells to work at the same time, I'm sure you can come up with somethin' MUCH smarter than the sorrowful little attempt you have here, I mean come on, you're not even trying. Here try this, slam your face onto the keyboard over and over again and just post whatever letters come out, it should be a more intellegent responce than what you've written here. Don't be depressed though, at least you've managed to start using 4 letter words in a sentence and that's something.

• 4 weeks later...

$67,000 from a few screens on an opening weekend IS a success up here, since many films do much less (it's all relative, yeah?). For the distributor it means that the film could have some legs, which turned out to be true in this case. To date I think it's grossed over a million $ in Canada and a couple million in the US. A success story indeed.

I haven't seen it yet but I plan to. I saw a short Sarah Polley made several years ago and it was really good, and I walked away thinking she would be the next great Canadian filmmaker. She has over 20 years experience as an actor (she's only 28) and she is very opinionated and outspoken, so it was only a matter of time before she'd get behind the camera.

What surprised me about Away From Her is apparently there was not a lot of support from the government agencies (or it was atleast a long time coming). Given her reputation, and the talent she could attach, if the agencies are hesitant to support her what chance do the rest of us have?

Rick

Here's another point, if 7K per screen is a good average and considered decent, why don't they open this film on as many screens as possible in Canada. How about 100 screens then.

With two showings a night that's 14K per theatre times 100 is 1.4 million per day.

R,

They are not going to release it on 100 screens to start since they don't know how the market will react. Film distribution is a fickle business. 100 screens is a big investment when it might tank, and even good films tank. Once the distributor sees those early numbers they then make that gamble and roll it out on more screens, which they did with Away From Her. Mongrel Media, the Canadian distributor, is one of the most successful and smartest distributors in the country at the moment, and by all accounts they are playing Away From Her just right.

Rick

R,

Actually, that is quite incorrect. Chrysler, at the time of aquisition, had close to $60 billion in cash and assets, so technically Chrysler PAID Benz to take it over. Benz turned a good profit, I'd think.

The deal stank from day 1. It began when Chryslers #1 investor began the moves for a hostile takeover, the CEO freaked and cobbled together the deal so he didn't loose his golden parachute. That CEO, thanks to the deal, walked away with over a billion in cash.