Lighting at 500fps

Hi,

i'll be the gaffer at a high speed shooting next week and never did it before. So i got some questions about the light units i will need. We don't have a great budget because all the money went in renting the camera. The camera has a latitude of something like 3 stops. Our light units so far look like this: 1x 4kW HMI PAR, 1x 2,5kW HMI PAR, 1x 1,2kW HMI PAR, 2x 200W HMI Fresnel, 3-4 4B4F KinoFlo. I think we will have the opportunity to get real close to our to-be-filmed-objects with the units

The shooting will be done at some 100fps shots and 2-3 500fps shots. These 500fps shots will be nearly close ups, so i don't have the problem to light up the whole bar in which the shooting takes place.

I've heared about problems using HMI at High Speed. Is that true? What kind of problems i should expect. We are shooting in Switzerland at 50Hz so 500fps should work, or am i wrong?

Any other hints or thoughts? Would these be enough units to do the job.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Jasper Granderath

Zurich

Edited by Jasper Granderath

Lighting at 1000fps

As long a you go in increments of 100 you should be fine, but again HMI might not be the best idea.

I've read about the HMI topic there. But what kind of problems can occur? Did anyone had problems with HMI and high speed?

The HMIs are coming from my school, so they are for free. Tungsten lights with more than 5kW we would have to rent. That's the reason for using HMIs.

• Premium Member

I think I explained it in that post he linked to, and I know I have on here like three times. HMIs at extreme high speed (500 and up) flicker not only because of the Hz rate issues, but because at t hose speeds you are seeing the actual arc wonder, which creates an impression of flicker. It can be solved by shooting the light through pretty heavy diffusion.

Tungsten 5k and up is fine.