Duplicating frames with NLE software?

Patrick Cooper

I was shooting some 16mm neg film not too long ago which I have had processed but I havent had transferred yet. Among the last few shots on the film was a long pan in which I 'held' the shot for a few seconds at the beginning but foolishly did not 'hold' the shot at the end of the pan. Although I haven't been able to view the footage as yet, it's very likely that the pan will end too abruptly without much of a stationary shot. A reshoot is not practical because the filming was done on an island (I will be visiting this island again next year but I can't really say whether I'll be going to the same location on the island.) Are there many NLE programs which can make duplicate frames of individual frames from the imported footage? If this is indeed possible, I was hoping to duplicate the last frame, or last few frames, of the end of the pan so as to extend the (brief) holding shot. I would probably need to make quite a number of duplicate frames. The subject is a forest and luckily it was not a windy day. Even so, I'm just hoping that there is no movement in any of the vegetation. Besides movement, what other possible problems would there be using this method? Also, would there be any loss of quality or would the duplicate frames look identical to the original frames?

Hi!!

i think you have two ways of solving this problem you have.

one is to fo it in telecine when youre transfering. transfer the pan in normal speed and the transfer it at 20, 18 or the sppped you like and the in a NLE you can dissoclve in the same frame from the 24fps transfer to the 20 or 18

the other way is to ramp the footage at the end of the shot.maybe shake is better than doing this in final cut or avid.

bye!

Treegan

Well you would just be doing a freeze frame, which would look like that and not a static shot. You might be better off looking for someone that has experience with Apple Shake, which has much more powerful motion ramping that any editing program.

After effects also has a great ramping tool. In the end though it will always look like your trying to get away with something. Is there anyway to incoperate the limits into the edit? maybe start a disolve during the pan to end just as it comes to rest, or a quick edit, jump cut, etc? anything to make it look like it was planned, rather than trying to ramp it?

Just an idea, may not fit the project, but and idea none the less.