intentional fluorecent flicker

Hello,

For my graduation short film next week (shot on Crystal sync Arri SR2 on S16), I want to have some practical fluorescent lights flickering in the background - as if the location is really dodgy/ down and out.

Does any one know how I could create this without changing the f/s or actually trying to find lights that are already like that? Is their a cheap and quick (but safe) way that I could interfere with the electrics perhaps?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi,

Find a lighting dimmer rated for inductive loads. I repeat, do not use a normal one, find one where the owner specifically informs you that it is suitable for running fluorescents. A normal one will appear to work for a while, but is likely to very abruptly stop working, at which point the owner will be upset with you and make you pay for expensive repairs. You may be able to find a sweet spot where the lamp will reliably flicker, or you may have to sit there and jockey with the fader on the controller.

Alternatively, any true variac (not a normal triac dimmer) will work the same way.

This will work best with old style iron-ballast fluorescents, and you should reckon on replacing all the starters after you've been working for a day or so as it will thrash them fairly fast (though not in minutes or anything.)

The proper Hollywood big-fat-union-worker version of this is to rent Kinos and the special Kino-Flo flicker box. I have no idea how much this is likely to cost, but let's face it - it's going to be a fortune.

Phil