Iconix HD lipstick

Frank Barrera

• Premium Member

Prepping a car chase scene for low budget feature and we want to go with the Iconix HD RH1. I've never used it before and wonder if anyone out there has some words of wisdom.

My main concerns:

-It will be "B" camera. "A" camera is Sony F900R. Will they cut? (we can't afford a test of course).

-Being that it is a 1/3" chip the field of view is very limited. And it only takes C-mount lenses. I know there is a Tamron f1.3 Fisheye but I haven't been able to locate one in NY just yet.

-The director wants to get "psuedo jib arm" shots by putting the head on a "boom pole". this sounds a bit wanky to me. Any thoughts? I haven't locked in our Key Grip yet but I'm certain he will have a lot to say about that.

Sort of scratching me head over here...

thanks

I'm not a huge fan of the Iconix after testing it. The stated resolution as compared to what you effectively get out of it are far apart. There is no way to white shade or black shade the camera which means that you're stuck with all the abberations of the optics, which are going to be limited in c-mount. The deck will be very expensive to record to. And you can stick it on a boompole but it will be shaky as hell.

Hi Frank - idea from left field:

Get a Canon HV20, kludge some kind of wide angle adaptor on the front,

Record the HDMI out somehow wd. be best.

I bet it would look better than you'd expect.

-Sam

• Premium Member

thanks guys.

Mitch-

I wonder about those specs myself. and the whole "boom pole" approach seems a bit kooky but i'm going to give it a shot during a test this week. apparently there has been some of this done on recent NASCAR broadcasts.

Sam-

I don't want to sound like a jack ass but I just can't wrap my head around the idea that a $900 video camera could possibly cut with a $80,000 CineAlta.

• Premium Member
Maybe not but pop over to B&H sometime and - if you can - look at the HDMI out signal, I'd be curious as to what you think...

-Sam

actually i plan on being there first thing monday morning so i will check it out.

thanks

Disclaimer: I did say this was an out of left field idea B)

-Sam

Do a search for articles on the making of Ali. They used 2 tiny eymo video cameras mounted inches apart and then stiched the images together along with some post work to match film. Mann also wanted not to be thethered so they came up with a wireless image transfer. Search the net you'll find info on all this. Also check out the eymo site and B&H for the eymo parts.

Edited by Michael Peploe

• 2 weeks later...