UCLA extension cinematography class

• Premium Member

I took this class about a year ago. Jack's a great guy who's very talented and able to impart his years of experience. Jack shares a lot of the information he's gleamed from some of the most famous DP's in the world and some great classic movies he's been a part of. He's a DP in his own right who continues working.

We spent a lot of hands on time lighting in a studio, we went to Mole Richardson and met Larry Parker and William G. Krokaugger, who gave us a great breakdown on set power- running gennys, balancing loads, cables etc...

We also got a color theory lecture from Joe Tawil, president of GAM, an intensely bright guy who can explain color theory forward and backward.

We spent a day at KinoFlo meeting Frieder Hochheim who explained and demo'ed thier products. We also got to meet an ARRI rep and received the same hands on demo of thier lighting equipment. Also included were product demo DVD's from Kodak and Fuji.

You'll definetly get what you put into it. Jack saw I needed help using hard lighting so he pushed me in that direction. I noticed a few students who seemed to lack interest and just kind of sat around chatting watching other students.

I have to admit, I was Jack's asst. in the class so I got the class comp'ed but I still think it's one that is worth the money. I was thinking about popping in and sitting in for some of the lectures again.

• Premium Member

I had the opportunity to assist for Jack a few years ago on a short out in Ohio; he was fantastic and was very much a gentleman cinematographer; it was a pure joy to work with him (especially when the production itself was so chaotic!). I'd take the opportunity to meet and learn from him.