Which Mini DV tape stock?

Andy Lowe

Hi guys,

I'm shotting a short film next week and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which company makes the best Mini DV tape stock? Sony/Panasonic/JVC???

Pretty much all the drama I've shot has been on film. I've only really shot doco/corporate videos on DV, where the producer just hands you the stock at the start of the job. I was wondering if there was any issues like kodak vs fuji in the Mini DV world, or whether all the tapes are much of a muchness. Have trawled the net and couldn't find anything, so I'm assuming the latter is true??

Any advice, much appreciated.

Andy Lowe

• Premium Member

Hi,

Tape is tape, but cameras differ. There used to be a lot of talk about only using one brand of tape, and concerns about compatible lubricants, but I've never heard this concretely substatiated and I use all kinds of miniDV stock without issues. Possibly the best stuff is the Sony mini-DVCAM tapes, but that's only because they're sold under the "professional" banner. It's perfectly OK to use these to record miniDV, and you will get the full hour not the 40 minutes mentioned on the box, but I have no real idea if it will make the slightest difference. Actually recording a DVCAM signal is another matter, though.

Phil

Ive heard of DV pros ("pro" dv user, yeah right!) using anything from the top sony to the panasonic master tapes. There are lubricant issues and all that, but if you're just shooting for yourself and not selling, it's true, tape is tape. It's been sugguested to stick to one kind of tape with one type of camera. They don't have to match necessarily, but your shots will be more consistent and easier to predict if your tape stock doesnt vary in quality/manufacturer.

If I'm shooting DV I use the Panasonic master quality tapes. Sony has those new tapes which promise less drop-outs but I've never experienced problems with drop-outs that were caused by the tape itself (always the heads...). Not to mention that they are more than twice as expensive, which if you're on the typical DV documentary budget is something to worry about. Tape is pretty much tape and this may sound absurd but I like the cases on the high end Panasonic cases better than other brands. That's pretty much the only reason I use them.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Panasonic cases are a slightly flexible plastic and they don't shatter. Similarly, Sony DV tapes (whether small or large shell) come in flexible blue plastic cases. I would never touch any of the consumer DV tapes that come in easy-shatter acrylic cases.

Phil