anamorphic flare

Joseph Zizzo

• Premium Member

does anyone know of a series of anamorhic lenses that produce a neutral or warm horizontal flare, as opposed to the panavision blue variety? perhaps with a pl mount, even?

thanks.

• Premium Member

I believe the horizontal flare is blue due to the lens coatings -- they are always somewhat cool or blue-ish when the light source is white, just that they are particularly blue with Primo anamorphics. C-Series has a closer-to-neutral flare. I've never seen a warm flare unless it is coming from an orange light. Hawks seem to have a whiter flare.

• Premium Member

thanks, david.

do the hawks (or other) the pl mount anamorphics flare in a similiar way, with the horizontal line and ovals, etc.? i used a set of the elite, aka "russian", anamorphics once, which were great, but it wasn't the kind of situation where i could test for flares...

thanks again.

• Premium Member

JDCs anamorphic lenses have a smaller, more neutral (white) flare than the Panavision lenses. Neither the Hawks nor the Elite flare too much because the anamorphic element is in the middle of the lens, not up front like the others.