Bauer tech help needed

Kevin Olmsted

Hello, I am new to the forums here. I work in television and do a lot of freelance design and amatuer films. I have a few Bauer Super 8 cameras that I use mostly for experimental films.

I typically shoot in a controlled environment of some sort, so I take time to use a light meter and manually adjust my aperture, especially because most 'modern' Bauers won't properly expose 64T.

I did, however, successfully adjust the meter trimpot inside my S715XL and it now exposes 64T properly. Instructions for this were pretty easy to find on the net.

I now want to shoot a travelogue of sorts; I will be travelling back to my hometown soon and want to document the trip. I would like to shoot on a smaller, easy-to-carry camera than the 715XL and would like to shoot spontaneously, without stopping to adjust my aperture and just use the auto.

I have a C500XL silent and a S209XL sound. I opened up the 209 and found 10 different trimpots on the internal circuit board! 4 on the top board and 6 on the side board. I don't want to maladjust some other important function so I don't want to go tweaking every little pot.

Does anyone out there have experience with this sort of thing? I would greatly appreciate any sort of advise offered or point me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

Kevin

Hi, I don't have the answers you're looking for, but I was wondering if you could link to the places you got the information for the bauer 715XL from, as I've just purchased one :-) If someone has the manual, I'd be interested in that too. I'll upload it to the manuals-section of my website too.

Edited by Bjarne Eldhuset

Hello, Bjarne!

I found the instructions on super8wiki.com. Go to 'Manufacturers', then 'Bauer', then find the listing for the 715XL. Scroll down a bit and you'll find the link. You can also go to 'Repair' from the main page and find the same link there. There are some pretty good quality photos that accompany the article. You can just change the existing pot or if you're comfortable with a soldering iron and wiring, you can make it variable, which is what I did. Works great and helps me when I'm shooting a little more spontaneously and can't stop to meter each shot.

I was actually looking for a 715XL manual for some time and found it here as well. Didn't want to pay the $30. Here is the page; go about 2/3 the way down:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...hl=bauer+manual

I don't know if I copied that link right but that was the search I did.

Good luck with it and Happy Shooting! By the way, where did you get your camera? I got mine from Super 8 Camera Shop.

Bauer Pauer!

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Olmsted

Thanks for the link! I bought my 715 of internett some time ago. 2 of it's motors seem to have stopped working, so I'll send it to a german repair shop this summer. It'll still be a good deal, I think, as I only paid 37 Euro for the camera! I'm not sure I'm going to do surgery to the camera myself, as there is a good chance the process will go from surgery to autopsy... But good to know it's possible, and I might make an attempt when my other 715 arrives in the mail :-)

Bauer Pauer it is!

Although I also like to Nizo Pizo and Beaulieu .. err Pollieu?

Edited by Bjarne Eldhuset