varicam vs. xdcam

David litz

Hello, all...

I have a commercial coming up where the client is requesting slo-mo of a person exercising. We are debating whether to use the Varicam or the XD Cam. I am leaning towards the Varicam because of the 2/3" chip size (as compared to the XD Cam's 1/2" chip) and I am generally more familiar with the Varicam. I even have the Goodman Guide. Also, isn't the XD cam compressed at an MPEG and/or Mini DV quality?

I am also curious about what the post requirements would be. I am not sure what edit system the production house has. I think Final Cut Pro. If we shoot 60fps on the Varicam, do they need to do any conversion of that footage before it gets into their system?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I am also curious about what the post requirements would be. I am not sure what edit system the production house has. I think Final Cut Pro. If we shoot 60fps on the Varicam, do they need to do any conversion of that footage before it gets into their system?

if you shoot varicam at 60 fps there is a free frame rate converter that will convert it in FCP. I think the converter is linked to on the panny varicam site

• 1 month later...
Also, isn't the XD cam compressed at an MPEG and/or Mini DV quality?

You can choose the system. It can be mpegHD (1440x1080 4:2:0) or DVcam or mpegIMX (4:2:2).

XDCam HD at 25MBit/s is similar to HDV but highest quality is at 35MBit/s (VBR).

IMX gives interesting look, but it's SD.

regards

• 1 month later...
if you shoot varicam at 60 fps there is a free frame rate converter that will convert it in FCP. I think the converter is linked to on the panny varicam site

You can also use cinema tools to spot conform or batch conform 60fps to 24fps. It only takes a few seconds batch conform a list of shots.

- Greg