Camera recommendations for an experimental set up

Brian Rose

All,

In case you aren't familiar with my posts in the 16mm thread, I've been experimenting with three strip cinematography, whereby the three primary color records are captured on individual strips of BW neg and recombined to produce color (like Technicolor). Because of the expense and complexity of three strip photography with film, I want to change direction and build a three-camera set up using mini-DV cameras. Below is a crude schematic of my design. Basically, using beamsplitters, mirrors and colored filters, this system will enable each camera to record one color record. Then, in post, I will recombine the images for full color. IN theory, the color saturation, accuracy and overall vibrancy should be markedly above standard cameras, or even three chip systems. Getting to my question: I need three cameras for what I intend to construct. They need to be reasonably small, and not too expensive (so no XL2s, alas). Obviously, I don't care about how each camera records color, since I will be shooting monochrome through colored filters, and adding the color in post. However, I do want to get something with as fine and sharp a picture quality as possible for my budget. At this stage, I was planning on SD cameras, although HD could be a possiblity in the future. Of course, I don't have a ton of money to spend, so I was wondering what make/model of camera you all might recommend that would be the best quality for my purposes, and that would cost between 500 to 700 dollars per camera. I'd really appreciate any help! Thanks!

ThreeCameraSetup.jpg