French questions from NYC

Hi guys,

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm obviously French and not yet fluent. lol

So I'm a young Director living in NYC and I'm preparing a conceptual short film (low budget) for end of June and I'm starting to look how to achieve some visual effect directly on the camera. I will probably shoot with the HD Phantom 2K.

My concept is in black and white with a 'claire-obscure' feeling about it. The contrasty light will revealing a girl 'blooming' little by little. I will add some color and vfx on post.

I'll be short, here is:

- Is there any way to achieve a kinda long exposure shots. To get this motion blur distorted trace effect in slow motion?? Similar of what u can get from a still camera.

- I'm also thinking about shooting with cool filters or through different materials to get cool distorted fx? Any ideas of what is working well??? I'm looking for defocused distorted effects. A bit like some shots from 'Sunshine' (Alwin Kuchler), Cunningham spots 'Flex' - 'Come to Daddy' (Khondji), ... Using frosted glass? mirrors? Distorted glass?

- I also want to create experimental nice light effects. My short is all about this organic light. What about pointing lights or lasers into the lense? Any filters to create horizontal streaks of light?

Thx a lot for your answers! Hope to hear from u soon. Have a great weekend!

French Greg

• Premium Member
Hi guys,

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm obviously French and not yet fluent. lol

So I'm a young Director living in NYC and I'm preparing a conceptual short film (low budget) for end of June and I'm starting to look how to achieve some visual effect directly on the camera. I will probably shoot with the HD Phantom 2K.

My concept is in black and white with a 'claire-obscure' feeling about it. The contrasty light will revealing a girl 'blooming' little by little. I will add some color and vfx on post.

I'll be short, here is:

- Is there any way to achieve a kinda long exposure shots. To get this motion blur distorted trace effect in slow motion?? Similar of what u can get from a still camera.

- I'm also thinking about shooting with cool filters or through different materials to get cool distorted fx? Any ideas of what is working well??? I'm looking for defocused distorted effects. A bit like some shots from 'Sunshine' (Alwin Kuchler), Cunningham spots 'Flex' - 'Come to Daddy' (Khondji), ... Using frosted glass? mirrors? Distorted glass?

- I also want to create experimental nice light effects. My short is all about this organic light. What about pointing lights or lasers into the lense? Any filters to create horizontal streaks of light?

Thx a lot for your answers! Hope to hear from u soon. Have a great weekend!

French Greg

Hi,

Why would you use the Phantom HD camera? It's a very expensive high speed camera an odd choice IMHO

Stephen

Hi,

Why would you use the Phantom HD camera? It's a very expensive high speed camera an odd choice IMHO

Stephen

Well, it's just one day shoot in a studio and me and my DP thought HD would be a cheaper solution. For my concept I need high slow motion and be able to shot a lot of takes. I wanted to choose 16mm but too expensive. I aslo need outstanding quality. It's very aesthetic and arty.

It's a low budget but I want to afford at least a great day of shoot. All the post will be done in my visual fx company.

Who u suggest another HD cam?