Downconverting in PAL

Oliver Ojeil

I have footage shot on the varicam and captured into FCP under the DVCPRO HD 720p 60 codec, meaning the footage's frame size in FCP is 960x720 with a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio correction to give the correct look for the picture. After finishing my edit, I need to put it on digibeta for broadcast.

What is the best way to down convert? What should be my sequence settings. 720x576, 768x576 etc. ? this is making me pull my hair.

thanks for the help

Where are you Oliver? cose 720 60 mens that you record 60 fields so is NTSC. and you need to transcode to PAL SD. dont do taht in final cut you never have god results in final.

the pal sec must be 768x576 25 frames, the final cut have an easy set up for pal dv and for pal uncompressed.

i recomend to export a final movie in youre original settings and get it to a post house to be transcoded real time to a PAL digibeta.

if not you can do the conversion in after effects, shake or combustion.

bye!!

Treegan

I have footage shot on the varicam and captured into FCP under the DVCPRO HD 720p 60 codec, meaning the footage's frame size in FCP is 960x720 with a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio correction to give the correct look for the picture. After finishing my edit, I need to put it on digibeta for broadcast.

What is the best way to down convert? What should be my sequence settings. 720x576, 768x576 etc. ? this is making me pull my hair.

thanks for the help

Well the difference between 720x576 and 768x576 is that one is a 4:3 DV ratio and the other is a broadcast ratio. If you really want to know the reason why it's that DV formats such as DVD's use MPEG-2 compression which requires values to be a multiple of 16. For something going to DigiBeta and hence broadcast use 768x576.

Well the difference between 720x576 and 768x576 is that one is a 4:3 DV ratio and the other is a broadcast ratio. If you really want to know the reason why it's that DV formats such as DVD's use MPEG-2 compression which requires values to be a multiple of 16. For something going to DigiBeta and hence broadcast use 768x576.

The difference is actually that 768 x 576 is in square pixels and 720 x 576 has a pixel aspect ratio of 1.066:1. 720 x 576 (625/50i) is the resolution of CCIR 601 PAL.

Oliver. If you are going to NTSC the resolution is 720 x 480. If you're actually going for PAL you need to get it converted to 50i at a post house.

• Premium Member

768x576 is analogue and therefor not really a consideration any more PAL is 720x576 when it comes to digi. a post house will not give a better conversion than a conversion in ae or shake, either of these with the right settings will be better than a hardware conversion. if you want top notch conversion use algolith

algolith

in fcp for very acceptable results use the format converter from natress- though you might have to go from 60 to 30 first.