TELLING STORIES THROUGH CINEMATOGRAPHY

TOM VENESS

I'm training in cinematography at univeristy. Next year we have to make films either by ourselves or in groups of two or three. I'm very interested in telling stories visually and wondered if anyone had any ideas or examples of how this has been or could be done . I've seen "Nocturne" a short film by Lars Von Trier which i think succesfully does this, but wondered if anyone could help.

Thank you

I'm very interested in telling stories visually and wondered if anyone had any ideas or examples of how this has been or could be done .

I'm not sure exactly what your question is,but I think I can offer something.I do primarily TV news and documentaries these days and I've attended a few seminars from the National Press Photographers Association where they hold sessions in improving your visual storytelling capabilities.

One such assignment is where attendees are given a statement such as "caffiene causes stress in the workplace" or "media perception is not reality".You are given one hour to shoot a silent scenario using 4 minutes,no more of tape.You are then critiqued on the raw tape and you're then given 30 minutes to edit the tape into a 1 minute story.You are then critiqued on your finished piece.

Aside from the learning experience,the last time we had such a seminar we all had a blast with it.

Marty

• Premium Member

Tom,

Think of a script has having:Begining,Middle,End. I'm assuming you will

have dialouge. So lets think this way- Beginning(Act 1),Middle(Act 2), End

(Act 3). Example: Act 1: Bush pilot living in Alaska estranged from his wife.

Act 2: Bush Pilot's 10 yr. old daughter in private school in

Key West, Florida. She's abducted from her private

school and taken to Cuba.

Act 3: Bush pilot flies to Cuba to get daughter back, does

covertly. Only "catch 22" his estranged wife has to

go along.

This is from an actual screenplay I'm presently writing. Each act will have so

many scenes(the scenes will tell the story). You can story board the scenes

and plan a shooting schedule to film the story. How long will it take to complete

your film ? What look do you want your film to take on(mood). Quality of light,

quanity of light,direction of light,color,set design,costumes,make-up. What camera,

what film stock? How many lenses do you need? What kind of music(it can make or

break a film). Plan for 100 things to go wrong and probably 101 things will go

wrong. Since you are in film school I imagine you'll shoot in 35mm, am I right?

Hope info on script breakdown will help you! Good luck with your first film. I did

not go to film school but it would be my choice if I was just starting out!

Hello,

Something I recomend doing, like David suggested is watching silent films. Sometimes I like to hit MUTE and just watch to see if I can follow or just to absorb the images. I also suggest you take a look at the classic Avant Garde films, like Maya Daren's "Meshes of the Afternoon" a great silent film which tells a story purelly with image and parallel editing. Also a beautiful example of the Bolex at its best ( in camera dissolves, fades, etc..). Being in School you probably have allready seen some silent work.

I also love some of the work of Stan Brakage, and Peter Greenaway's early works.

Hope this helps.

i've heard alot about Maya Deren looking forward to seeing some of her work

"Meshes" is great as is her next one "At Land"

I think you'll be surprised to see how much has been borrowed from those films.. somebody had a website listing all the music videos they could find that copied "Meshes of the Afternoon" (which was photographed by her then husband, Alexander Hammid, who died last month at 96 - a fascinating career that began in Praguein the 30's and included not only the AG classics but cutting Imax films, and working with Francis Thompson on some multi screen films I saw when I was a kid)

-Sam

Do you know a website where you might be able to obtain some of her work. I live in England and can't seem to find anywhere

Hey Tom,

Here is one site. http://movies.go.com/movies/M/meshesoftheafternoon_1943/

However, I recomend you contact your local Modern Art Museum. Maybe even the British Museum or the Tate. Sometimes libraries have old copies on 16mm which in my opinion is the only way to view it.

Most modern art museums have a film library in New York MOMA has the Donell Library which has numerous works on film and video.

I also suggest you speak to your professors.

There are hundreds of underappreciated experimental filmmakers out there. Have you taken Film History course? this is also essential.

Anyway I don't want to bombard you with information. Good luck with your search please let us know how it all goes.

Thank you. It's a shame I was in New york last week and these would have probably been more avialable to me there, but I will try and hunt them down.

Dont' worry about about too much information. I need more information as there is so much about cinematography and filmmaking to learn. So thank you for your time

Tom