NPR Clicking Sound- Please help

Scott Bryant

I just got an Eclair NPR and was testing it out everything was fine until the the torque limiter mechanism starting clattering. I pulled off the magazine side (exposing the previously fogged film) and noticed this only happened with my english magazine (the french one worked fine). I took the film out of the magazine and ran it again still hearing a clicking sound even though the torque limiter wasnt bouncing up and down. I then applied some pressure forcing the magazine just slightly toward the viewfinder along the lens axis and the clicking stopped. Once again i tried the french magazine and everything was fine. I think that had to do with thicker foam around the pressure plate. However without the magazine on i ran it at 24 and 30 fps and i noticed at 30 fps the registration pin began clicking but not at 24. This really worried me so i put the magazine back on with film in it and it still clicked at 30 fps but not 24. Could i have ruined the registration pin somehow? I know you aren't supposed to run the camera at high speeds without film but i thought 30 fps was kinda the upper limit and it was ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am new to NPR and 16mm film in general.

Edited by Scott Bryant

ok sorry, when i refer to that i am referring to a claw-like mechanism that drags the film past the gate, i assumed that was a registration pin.

The claw-like mechanism is the claw :lol:

A registration pin doesn't do any pull down, it acts more like a stop in conjunction with the claw

mitchmov.gif

uppey-downy is the registration pin - lefty-righty is the claw (from is a 35mm mitchell movement)

The claw-like mechanism is the claw :lol:

A registration pin doesn't do any pull down, it acts more like a stop in conjunction with the claw

mitchmov.gif

uppey-downy is the registration pin - lefty-righty is the claw (from is a 35mm mitchell movement)

Hi Nick,

Where did you ge the video of the moving Mithcell movement? That is just too cool. You should use it for an Avatar. And if you aren't, can I? LOL

Chuck

Hi Nick,

Where did you ge the video of the moving Mithcell movement? That is just too cool. You should use it for an Avatar. And if you aren't, can I? LOL

Chuck

heh heh ...

Just as you cant stop me using it I cant stop you !

right click on the .gif and choose 'properties' - you'll see where its from ;)

• Premium Member
Nick

I take it that a gif is the moving image (yes I am a complete computer idiot).

No right click on the mouse here, as it is an Apple.

Thanks anyways.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, just so you know....ctrl + click = right click on a one-button apple mouse ;)

• Premium Member

The clicking sound @30fps is the claw hitting the back of the aperture plate. At 24fps the centrifical force is less that when at 30fps, so there's no clicking.

You probably need the clawspring replaced and the movement adjusted.

English and French mags can differ quite a bit on specifications. The trick is to find a happy medium between both. That's why being Irish really helps.