xd cam(dv) vs 790 digi beta

avner shahaf

Hello to you all again,

I'm going to work as an assistent camera man for a new feuture and i can choose a camera between sony 790 and sony xd cam(dv) and i don't know which one to choose .

can anyone help me considerring the ccd block the proccesors lines and menu parameters

beside of this i really need information on how should i work with digi video that is going to trransmition.

thank you

Avner Shahaf ;)

• Premium Member

Hi,

The Digital Betacam will generaly be better in more or less all ways. DVW series cameras generally have the more advanced "hyper HAD" image sensors and the recording is 4:2:2 subsampled with very light compression. A PDW-series XDCAM, in DV mode, is of equivalent quality to something like a DSR-570, which has less refined imaging electronics than any of the DVW series and much more compression.

The digibeta image will stand colour correction better and lose less in multiple generations; the XDCAM will be very much cheaper to handle in post (I honestly don't know if you can buy ATAPI xdcam readers yet, but I would have assumed so.)

The only advantage of XDCAM is that some of them, such as the PDW-530, will do various kinds of interlaced and progressive scan.

Phil