No Picture Quicktimes

Jon Rosenbloom

I've got a somewhat annoying problem. I copied some quicktime files of some dailies, which played just fine on my producer's new MacBook Pro, but all I get on my almost as new iMac (dual Intel, etc.) is a black screen. We shot the footage on the Varicam, so it's DVC Pro HD. I have the ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card, w/ 256 MB of VRAM, 2 Gig of RAM. Is this hardware not up to playing uncompressed HD? I've got the sound, but just a black screen. Any ideas?

• Premium Member

I'm gonna say this just one more damned time.

DVCPRO IS NOT UNCOMPRESSED HD

Mutter, grumble.

And no, your mac probably isn't up to playing it. That doesn't explain the black screen, though. Presumably it's a codec issue but I presume Macs have some strange, otherworldly way of handling that stuff. You may need to give quicktime some extra software. I'm sure QT will tell you if you find out how to ask it.

Phil

You need to copy the Quicktime DVCProHD components (an of course you need Quicktime Pro) from the machine you have FCP on to your iMac. (Or from your producer's MBP). They live in root/library/quicktime.

They need to be Universal Binary versions - but as long as you have FCP 5.1x they will be.

I've played DVCProHD on an Intel mini no problem (it wouldn't loop backward @ 1080i though !)

-Sam

You need to copy the Quicktime DVCProHD components (an of course you need Quicktime Pro) from the machine you have FCP on to your iMac. (Or from your producer's MBP). They live in root/library/quicktime.

Alright, I never thought of that.