Beaulieu r16 follow focus, matte box

carl spring

have just brought myself a beaulieu r16, and thought that the one i have just purchased doesnt have a lens hood, so i thought instead of getting a basic lens hood i could look at maybe something a bit nicer i thought about getting a nice matte box any suggestions?

i would also like to know of a budget follow focus that any one can recommend, any suggestions, would be very grateful,

many thanks carl spring

Guest Ian Marks

A good matte box and follow focus unit will cost as much or more as your than the value of your Beaulieu and will still need to be adapted somehow. If you have the money, you can get just about anything you want made for your camera, but I question putting those things on an R16 - just as you could transform a Miata into a limousine if you were willing to go to extremes - but why bother? I'd leave the camera as is.

The Beaulieu was designed to be a light-weight, non-sync sound, hand-holdable camera - not really something that lends itself to a matte box/follow focus arrangement. If your camera has the usual battery grip arrangement, it doesn't even sit level on a flat surface, and lacks any attachment points for rods. Nine out of ten of them have an Angeneiux zoom (with a rotating front element), which is better suited to round filters and a regular, screw-in lens hood than a matte box. And follow focus? That's going to bulk up your camera, ruining its nice ergonomics.

Guest Ian Marks

Carl, what lens or lenses do you have for your Beaulieu? If it's a 12-120 Angenieux, you'll want a 72mm to Series 9 adapter. You can often pick up series 9 filters on Ebay for very little money - like ten or fifteen bucks for filter that would cost you $75 in a store. You'll want at least an 85b (for color correction) and a skylight or UV filter (to protect the front element), maybe a polarizer, ND filters, and some close-up lenses. Tiffen and Angenieux shades (again, series 9, sometimes written as "series ix") pop up there too. If you need to economize you can also screw 72mm filters (cheap and plentiful used) directly into the 12-120.

• 4 months later...

i do indeed have that beautiful lense. i have a adapter but it is true i could do with some sort of protection(uv,polorizer type item) for the lens. as it is in perfect condition and i want it to stay that way.

Thanks for all you help on this topic Ian. you are very helpful.

Chow for now

Carl :ph34r: