MasterPrimes

Max Jacoby

• Premium Member

I've just been informed that Arri and Zeiss have created a new spherical lens set called 'MasterPrimes'. These lenses are all T1.3 and weigh between 2.2 and 2.7 kilos. They are all 20cm in lenght and of 114mm front diametre. So far the focal lenghts between 16mm and 100mm are available. LDS is standard.

I have first heard about these lenses in the beginning of the year, but didn't expect them to come out quite so quickly. Arri and Zeiss felt that they could still improve on the UltraPrimes and optically speaking this is about as good as it gets. The drawback is the size obvioulsy, they are in the same weight category as Panavision's Primos. But the UltraPrime 24mm is over 2 kilos as well and no one has complained about that one so far. I am looking forward to testing these new lenses.

• Premium Member

The problem with the High Speeds were not the glass, but the limited focal lenghts. I shot them wide open at T1.3 on many occasions, and although softer, they had a nice tone and fall-off (the sharpness dropped towards the edges). I just stopped using them because they only came in like 5 lenses. So if Zeiss introduces a more complete new high speed set, then I'd love to try those when they come out.