Microwave tinfoil sparking

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing an effect that involves a microwave and tinfoil reaction... basically a character in an enclosed space, wrapped in tinfoil, and the tinfoil is sparking because of the microwaves. For simplicity, assume the camera is static.

Coming from a 3d background, my first thought was to put a couple of track marks on the character, and then use a 3d package to create a dynamic simulation of sparking coming off of them. For this, I probably wouldn't even need track marks. But then I began worrying about interactive lighting and smoke, and realized my method may not be so sound. I wondered if there were more practical ways (obviously without using REAL microwaves) to achieve this kind of affect. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Andre

I'd do the smoke and light as practical FX and composite in CGI electrical discharges to match the live actionOR vice-versa, composite in well lit, live action smoke shot against a black background with a luminesence key into your animation. If you used some matchmoving software like Match Mover or Combustion, you wouldn't even have to keep the camera static. B)

i'm more of a fan of organic effects. i would have a look a Van De Graff generator, research Telsa and some of his really cool research. basically you would be creating little lightening arcs, with some interesting camera work and angles you would never see the generator. record the sound separately or you will actually hear the arcing. but you will get a nice smell of freshly created ozone.