Xl1 / Xl2 for wildlife?

Shivang

Hi,

Just joined this forum and thought of posting a query that has been bothering me for some time

I film wildlife and have been hiring cameras like D35 and PD cameras for my shoots. However, the nature of my work requires being equipped at all times. So am making up my mind to buy a camera that I can keep with me during all my safari trips.

I would be glad if someone can help me in taking a decission. Would Canon XL1/XL2 serve my purpose? What are the other reasonable options I can consider? I am based in India and its very difficult to buy high-end equipments here... we do get them from the grey market. Should I opt for this option? Or ... would Amazon or eBay be a better option? I came to know that getting stuff from Thailand or Hongkong would be a cheaper option. Please advice.

regards,

Shivang

The Canon XL2 is probably the BEST video cameras for wildlife -- even if $$$'s are not an issue, simply because of the best $500 tool money can buy-- Canon's EOS adapter. The XL2's already powerful zoom is merely a toy compared to the EOS adapter coupled with a decent telephoto lens. I just bought a Canon 100-400L and a 1.4x adapter and my humble camera is a full-on telescope. In fact it may be overkill for wildlife. It?s so powerful that I need to devise some sort of spotting scope. If you?re in a hurry to zero on something, forget it?unless you?re lucky. For astonomy work, you'll have to wipe eye-goo off your viewfinder because it'll pop out of the socket and smear you're finder when you first see the lunar features of the moon. With a solar filter, you'll swear you booked time with the Hubbell.

With this full setup, the XL2 is still a lightweight system and the picture quality is astonishing.

Nothing even comes close.

• Premium Member
Nothing even comes close.

I think you forgot to qualify that by saying something like, "nothing comes close in the dv market", or something similar. If you do actually think that nothing comes close to the quality of an XL2, then maybe you shouldn't be posting.

I think you forgot to qualify that by saying something like, "nothing comes close in the dv market", or something similar. If you do actually think that nothing comes close to the quality of an XL2, then maybe you shouldn't be posting.

Name a video camera that comes close to having the extensive lens range abilities that the XL2 has, especially for wildlife... DV, HDV, BETASP, Hi8, 2k, 4K. It doesn't matter because I said NOTHING about the DV format's abilities. My post was very specific about the low cost lens adapter that makes the XL2 ideal for his needs. Surely you read enough into my post to know what I was saying. Why would you go out of your way to try and put me down? Just to embarrass me?

I recall having another of my posts pissed on by you in the past. You said nothing constructive or helpful then either. It's elitist know-it-alls like you that make this otherwise great place sort of a bummer.

Thanks for the comments. What is the ideal lense i should go for filming wildlife once i buy a XL2? Based out of India, would it be safe to buy it from ebay or amazon?

Again, it's whatever's in your budget. You can get a decent 100mm-300mm zoom from Canon or even Sigma for around $200-$300. With a lens like that and the EOS adapter on your XL2 you will be able to pick out named craters on the moon and read a license from a mile away. But you're into wildlife videography, so you'll have fun that way too.

I've never bought anything greymarket. Usually all you're really getting is the same product for a few dollars less minus the factory warranty. You would have no problems in India. Simply check out sellers policies. B&H is safe bet too. I'd avoid eBay for international trading.

However you buy it, you're gonna love it. It's a very impressive system.

Enjoy!

Hi Joe - B&H is offering a good deal for 3300$... I hope they will provide the bill documents too as I would like to get the equipment insured... is it a safe mode to purchase such high value equipments from B&H?

I recently purchased the "EF Adapter XL" for my XL2 (used and hopefully not abused). Can anyone with experience using the adapter elaborate on a couple simple technical issues. I can't find any tech documents on the adapter.

One - Proper reading of the battery ready light: My battery tester says the battery is "good." The red light on the adapter glows constant red. Does that indicate "good?" or?

Two - The "Lock" switch: I assume that the switch controls focus. Can anyone elaborate on it's use?