Screening DVDs at film schools

As far as the UK goes, you'll generally be okay providing its for educations purposes - and real educational purposes, as in a structured course with real students. Remember also that a course and a class is not really announcing that its going to be playing a title.

Essentially when you ever you start playing a DVD outside of your own home you are breaking the copyright licensed to you as the owner of that disc.

Now schools (when showing new films as treats), film clubs, holiday coaches, etc will often hire from a UK company called Film Bank that will send you a copy of the film and the permission to show it to a membership group in a public place, like a town hall. You can even charge for entry to that film to your membership group. Filmbank will also get newer releases months before they are released for general rental or purchase.

However Film Bank sucks big time!... as far as I am aware they are still insisting on renting out VHS, and they will charge you £80 + vat, regardless of how many people you intend to show it to. I really recommend avoiding them.

But if you are only screening extracts I really think you should be fine.

However you should telephone F.A.C.T. just to confirm you are up to date with current legislation.

http://www.fact-uk.org.uk/