analog to digital using a DV cam

kevinfreeny

I want to get VHS source material onto MiniDV. I thought I could do it with my camera, but I realized that you'd need an encoder (which you'd hook up to your computer). Isn't there a way to feed analog video into a DV camera somehow using the VTR function. Or am I confused?

It didn't work with RCA cables. Perhaps with SVHS? Not sure.

any help would be great.

thanks

Interesting as I have done this many times from my vsh/dvd using my canon zr-20 miniDV using the VTR function as you describe.

I connect the cable from the miniDV rca to the vhs/dvd rca out then hit record in the mindv then I hit play on either vhs/dvd. Once I recorded the info into the miniDV, I capture it using my pc. I have done this successfully many times. And I even showed a non techie friend of mine how to do it and he has transferred almost 40 tapes from his vacations/birthdays/etc from vsh->miniDV's->pc's->dvd's.

Wonder what would be different with you?

C.

There is an universal interface by ADS Tech called Pyro A/V Link. It's sold alone at 247 Euros in Europe (about $290) or at 745 Euros with a Premiere Pro 1.5 , Audition, and Encore package. It can be linked to a computer with IEEE1394 or directly to a DV Camcorder. It has Composite PAL/NTSC, Y/C, audio ins and outs, plus Component YUV bidirectional RCA jacks. I bought one , it works OK, standalone or with a computer.

It's a consumer device, so there is one little defect. Apparently the video is not DC restored, so with some VCRs the top of the picture is wrinkled. Betacam deals with that, but not DVCpro. There are no adjustments inside the interface.If you are letterboxed it's not noticeable. If you go through a component TBC it restores the DC. There are cheap buffer ICs that do the job. I might assemble a small circuitry to do the job.

• Premium Member

Hi,

There's at least several and probably dozens of items like that, from the Dazzle thing right up to component video encoders with timecode and device control extraction and encoding to and from DV. As usual, get what pay for.

Phil